The department has framed its functions as follows:
- Preparation and implementation of policies and programmes in forestry sector. Implementation of Forestry Laws and rules
- Protection, conservation, development and management of renewable natural resources, particularly forests and range lands in the province
- Sustainable management of forest for production of timber, firewood and other non-timber produce and services
- Demarcation and protection of Forest lands against encroachment
- Raising of nurseries and plantations
- Provide extension services for mass awareness and conduct research and training for capacity building
- Protection, conservation, preservation and management of wildlife resources
- Management of protected areas, wildlife parks, safaris & zoos
- Public and private participation through trophy hunting, private breeding farms, community based organizations and establishment of private game reserves
- Regulate intra-provincial and international import / export of wild animals / birds.
- Preparation of development projects for ex-situ and in-situ conservation of threatened wildlife species.
- Provide legal avenues of hunting as a mode of conservation.
- To educate masses regarding wildlife conservation through publicity cell.
- Research, survey and training activities
- Extension services/fish farming/aquaculture development
- Conservation, management and development of natural resources
- Production of fish seed in hatchery & nurseries
- Research &Training activities
- Introduction of new technologies for enhancing fish production