The department has framed its functions as follows:
- Preparation and implementation of policies and programmes in forestry sector. Implementation of Forestry Laws and rules.
- Protection, conservation, development and management of renewable natural resources, particularly forests and range lands in the province.
- Sustainable management of forest for production of timber, firewood and other non-timber produce and services.
- Demarcation and protection of Forest lands against encroachment.
- Raising of nurseries and plantations.
- Provide extension services for mass awareness and conduct research and training for capacity building.
- Protection, conservation, preservation and management of wildlife.
- Management of protected areas, wildlife parks, safaris & zoos.
- Public and private participation through trophy hunting, private breeding farms & hunting associations.
- Extension services/fish farming/aquaculture development.
- Conservation, management and development of natural resources.
- Production of fish seed under controlled conditions.
- Research &Training activities.
- Introduction of new technologies for enhancing fish production.