The department has taken some initiatives for the efficient planning of future in the context of its mission and vision. Few of the plans are listed as under:
- Under the Chief Minister's special initiative, a total of 2530 acres is being afforested during 2013-14.
- The forest resources of Punjab shall be monitored through satellite in GIS laboratory
- On the directions of the Prime Minister of Pakistan, trees shall be planted on an area of 2050 acres during 2013-14 and 750 acres in future in Murree.
- Proposal for raising plantation for pulp is underway with Stora Enso (Finnish).
- The Corporate Sector Responsibility (CSR) project of Engro was implemented in Changa Manga (200 acres).
- While a project of Coca Cola over 50 acres is in pipeline at Lahore.
- Focus on illegal hunting, poaching and netting.
- Streamline budgetary constraints for feed & maintenance of wildlife parks and zoos.
- Properly address the habitat shrinkage issues and ensure multi-lateral management.
- Develop harmony among allied departments.
- Improve liaison among Provincial and Federal Wildlife Conservation Organizations.
- Research in various disciplines of wildlife sciences.
- Encourage participation of private sectors in wildlife resources management.
- Short-term, mid-term and long-term management plans for protected areas.
- Revisit the annual development program for new interventions.
- Fisheries resource survey through GIS.
- Introduction of deep water fishing techniques in dams and reservoirs.
- Introduction of intensive fish farming to increase per acre yield.
- Establishment of modern fish markets and provision of marketing facilities to improve market and export.
- Modification of aquaculture system to ease water scarcity.
- Diversification of aquaculture through high value exportable species.
- Delivery of better extension services to accelerate fish culture practices in rural areas.
- Survey of major natural fisheries resources and preparation of a management plan for sustainable fisheries development.